How to apply?
The Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa issues marriage certificate only to those Afghan citizens who are residing in Canada or the United States. Please make sure that you have all documents available before depositing service fee to the Embassy’s bank account. The Embassy cannot return the service non-refundable fee to the applicants, if their supporting documents are not complete. Applications for authentication of documents can be made only in person and the application forms must be accompanied by the original documents.
Checklist of requirements
All applicants, whether applying by post or in person, must submit the following items as part of their application:
- The Embassy issues a Marriage Certificate (زوجیت خط) for already married couples, who live in Canada and the United States. Both husband and wife MUST be present at the Embassy at the time of appointment along with FIVE adult witnesses/assertors.
Please read the following information and instructions carefully:
Appointment. Applicants MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Embassy. Clients with no prior appointments will not be served.
Visit In-person. Both husband and wife and FIVE adult witnesses MUST be present at the Embassy at the time of appointment along with a request letter and required documents.
Request Letter. A request letter outlining the purpose, date and place of marriage should be submitted to the Embassy at the time of appointment.
Marriage Certificate Form (فورم زوجیت خط). This form needs to be completed in the Embassy. It can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
Required Documents and Witnesses (Iqrar kunendagan and Shahedaan). Please read the information below carefully and prepare for your appointment accordingly.
The following persons and documents MUST be present at the Embassy during your appointment.
A. Proof of Identity. (1) One copy of Tazkira or Passport of both applicants; (2) one copy of Tazkira or passport (Afghan or Canadian) of each assertor and witness; and (3) one copy of driver license of the applicants and assertors/witnesses.
B. Photographs. (1) Two recent photographs (size: 2x2 ) of both applicants; (2) two recent photographs of each witness/assertor.
C. Assertors (Iqrar Konendagan): THREE adult assertors should be present at the time of appointment along with the applicants. All three assertors should have their proof of identities, address and photographs ready as stated in paragraph A and B.
D. Witnesses (Shahedaan): in addition to 3 assertors, 2 adult witnesses should be present at the time of appointment along with the applicants. Both witnesses should have their proof of identities and photographs ready as stated in paragraph A and B.
Fee: An applicant should pay USD 50 non refundable fee for ONE application direct deposit to the Embassy's bank account. The Embassy does NOT accept cash under any circumstances.
Procedure. Once the applicants visit the Embassy at the time of their appointment, identities and documents will be checked at the front disk. If all the required documents are complete and both husband and wife and 5 adult witnesses/assertors are present, the process of producing a Marriage Certificate begins. The Marriage Certificate will be ready and given to the applicants on the same day.
Notes: For One Marriage Certificate, SEVEN adults are required at the Embassy (Husband and Wife + THREE Assertors + TWO Witnesses)
Note: please bring along all necessary documents and photographs at the time of your appointment. The Embassy does not have printing and copying facilities for its clients.
Fees and method of payment
• All consular charges are only payable in USD. Payment in any other currency will NOT be accepted.
• All payments must cover the total amount that is payable to the general, including the relevant fee, bank charge and any postal cost, if applicable. The payment must be received by the Embassy together with your application form before any assessment take place.
• Payments in cash and personal cheque are NOT accepted under any circumstances.
• The only acceptable method of the payment is direct deposit to the Embassy Bank Account or Money Order. Please download payment instruction form here.
• Please attached the original Bank printed receipt along with your application.
All applicants are, hereby, notified that they should make sure to have all required supporting documents available before depositing service fee to the Embassy’s bank account. The Embassy cannot return the service fee to the applicants, if their supporting documents are not complete, which in turn delays provision of the consular service to the applicants.
- Marriage Certificate
- Fast Track service
- Postage cost within Canada
- Postage cost to the United States
- USD 55
- USD 00 TBA
- USD 20
- USD 40
1. All consular charges are ONLY payable in USD. Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
2. All consular charges must be paid The Embassy Bank Account in Ottawa.
3. Payment by cash, personal cheques or bank transfer will not be accepted.
Embassy address and opening hours
Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa
240 Argyle Avenue
Ottawa, ON K2P 1B9
Applications Drop off: Monday to Friday from 10 AM to 12:00 PM
Documents Pick up: Monday to Friday from 2:00 PM to 04:00 PM