The embassy provides two types of services: (I) attesting a Birth Certificate (original and/or translation), and (II) Issuing a Birth Certificate.
I. Attestation of a Birth Certificate.
The Embassy attests the following for Afghan nationals:
2- Afghan Nationals Born in Afghanistan
The Embassy attests the original or translation of a Birth Certificate issued by Hospitals in Afghanistan or Afghan Central Civil Registration Authority (اداره ثبت احوال نفوس)
provided that the Birth Certificate was attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan. Embassy will NOT charge fee for this service.
3- Afghan Nationals Born Outside Afghanistan
The Embassy will attest:
a. The original or translation of a Birth Certificate issued and attested by the country of birth of the applicant (excluding Afghanistan). The fee for this service is USD 55 non-refundable per Birth Certificate.
b. The original or translation of the Birth Certificate issued in a third country and attested by the Embassy/Consulate General/High Commission of applicant’s country of birth.
The fee for this service is USD 55 non-refundable per Birth Certificate.
c. The original or translation of the Birth Certificate issued in a third country and attested by the Embassy/Consulate General of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in that country
where the Birth Certificate was issued. The fee for this service is USD 55 non-refundable per Birth Certificate.
4- Attesting a Birth Certificate
For attesting a Birth Certificate, please read the following information and instructions carefully:
Appointment. Applicant must book an appointment and must visit the Embassy in person.
a) Request letter. the applicant should write a request letter addressed to this Embassy and outline the services needed (i.e. attestation of the original
Birth Certificate, attestation of the translation of a Birth Certificate or both), personal details, address and contact number.
b) Original Birth Certificate and/or original of its translation that is attested.
c) Proof of Address in Canada. An applicant should provide any document that proves the residency address.
II. Issuance of a Birth Certificate.
If an Afghan national does not have a Birth Certificate and would like to obtain one, the Embassy issues a Birth Certificate for him/her. Please read the following information and
Appointment. Applicants MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Embassy. Clients with no prior appointment will not be serviced. For booking an
Visit In-person. An applicant MUST visit the Embassy in-person for an interview on the date and time of his/her confirmed appointment and have the required
a) Request letter.
b) Proof of Afghan Citizenship. The applicant will need to present her/his Tazkira (National ID) or valid Afghan Passport to the Embassy upon their appointment.
c) Photographs. 2 recently taken passport size photographs
d) Proof of Address in Canada.
Fees and Method of Payment:
Embassy will charge a non-refundable USD 55 per Birth Certificate.
• All consular charges are only payable in USD. Payment in any other currency will NOT be accepted.
• All payments must cover the total amount that is payable to the general, including the relevant fee, bank charge and any postal cost, if applicable. The payment must be received by the Embassy together with your application form before any assessment take place.
• Payments in cash, personal cheque and money draft are NOT accepted under any circumstances.
• The only acceptable method of the payment is direct deposit to the Embassy Bank Account. Please download payment instruction form here.
• Please attached the original Bank printed receipt along with your application.
Fees and method of payment
All applicants are, hereby, notified that they should make sure to have all required supporting documents available before depositing service fee to the Embassy’s bank account. The Embassy cannot return the service fee to the applicants, if their supporting documents are not complete, which in turn delays provision of the consular service to the applicants.
- Birth Certificate
- Postage cost within Canada
- Postage cost to return to the United States
(INCLUDING BANK AND ADMIN CHARGES)
- USD 55
- USD 20
- USD 40
1. All consular charges are ONLY payable in USD. Payment in any other currency will not be accepted.
2. All consular charges must be paid The Embassy Bank Account in Ottawa or Money Order.
3. Payment by cash, personal cheques or bank transfer will not be accepted.
Embassy address and hours of operation:
Embassy of Afghanistan in Ottawa
240 Argyle Avenue
Ottawa, ON K2P 1B9
Applications Drop off: Monday to Friday from 10 AM to 12:00 PM
Documents Pick up: Monday to Friday from 2:00 PM to 04:00 PM