Afghans based in Ottawa - Canada, and wish to obtain Machine-Readable Afghan Passports should read the following instructions carefully.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING AFGHAN PASSPORT
- APPOINTMENTS: Applicants MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Embassy. Clients with no prior appointment will not be serviced. For booking an appointment please refer to the bottom of this page.
- VISIT IN PERSON: An applicant MUST visit the Embassy in person on the date and time of their appointment. Applications sent to the embassy via post and/or applications in the absence of the applicant will NOT be processed.
- APPLICATION: An application form must be filled carefully in BLOCK letters in English and Dari/Pashto for each applicant, with special attention to name and surname’s spelling, date of birth (Day/Month/Year), height, occupation and other specifics and accurate current address in Canada. Application Form can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
- TAZKIRA (AFGHAN NATIONAL ID): Applicants must provide their original Tazkira to the Embassy along with the application. If the applicant’s Tazkira is not verified by Ministry of Interior Affairs, a copy of it will be sent to the National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) in Afghanistan for verification. A new machine-readable passport will only be issued once the Tazkira is verified by NSIA. All applicants who do not possess verified Tazkiras should apply for Absentee Tazkira.
- PHOTOS: 2 passport size (4x4.5 cm) recent stamped photographs with a white background is required for an application.
- OLD Passport: the applicant must return his/her old/ or expired passport to the embassy upon lodging the application.
- Landing Permit or First Canadian Visa: The applicant must provide the Canadian visa he/she arrived upon or the Landing permit.
- CHILDREN: If a child was born in Canada and would like to apply for an Afghan passport, his/her parents, must provide:
a) Original Tazkira of the parents.
b) Child’s Birth Certificate must be presented to the Embassy along with the application.The Certificate must contain the parents names.
- PROOF OF RESIDENCE: The applicant must provide a copy of the Canadian Residence Permit.
- EXPRESS/REGISTERED SELF-ADDRESSED RETURN ENVELOPE: The applicants are required to provide an Express/Registered self-addressed envelope. Embassy will use the Express/Registered envelope to send your NEW passport to the designated address provided on the envelope. Please note that all other types of envelopes will not be accepted. The applicants are also required to note the “Tracking number” of the Express Post to enable them to track their post.
- Passport applications are processed in order of their receipt date by the Consular Section. Applications that are incomplete and/or are missing necessary documents will not be processed.
After the Embassy accepted the completed application(s) with all the necessary documents and payments, new passports will normally be issued within two working weeks.
- A fast-track processing service is available for exceptional cases which will incur an additional charge of $23.USD within 5 business days. .
- Applicants are requested to avoid making any travel arrangements before receiving their passports. The Embassy will not accept any responsibility for delay in processing passports applications or changes in clients travel plans.
PROCESSING FEES AND METHOD OF PAYMENT
- All applicants are, hereby, notified that they should make sure to have all required supporting documents available before depositing a non-refundable service fee to the Embassy’s bank account. .
New Passport valid for 5 Years
New Passport valid for 10 year
Postal Expense from New York
Postage cost national
Fast Track Service
Lost Passport Penalty
- Applicants that have not completed 18 years, will only be issued passport with 5 years validity.